Strange Talk's debut Wind-Up Records release, Cast Away, has countless electrifying tunes that are bound to get stuck on repeat and never leave your head. We sat down with the Melbourne-based electro-pop band to discuss their new album, upcoming tour, and being one of Rdio’s 2014 Artists To Watch.
1. Where did you write the record?
We wrote the album in two completely different places. The first was a farm in Victoria in the country and the second was on the coast of Melbourne at a friend’s beach house. We locked ourselves away for several hours a day writing.
2. Were there any favorite artists that made an impact on the album’s sound or songwriting process?
There are so many musicians who made an impact on Cast Away! Michael Jackson, Daft Punk, and Queen are just a few of our long time influences. The album is a reflection of all the music we’ve listened to through the years of our lives and we put all these influences in a blender and out came the album.
3. How excited are you to finally debut these songs live in the US? What will the touring experience around this record be like?
We've spent a fair amount of time in the U.S. thus far playing in various cities, but never with an album released. So playing the songs that haven’t been released is always hard as no one knows them. It’s definitely a new chapter for us having an album out now.
4. You recently recorded an Rdio Session at SXSW. Can you tell us about the experience? What can fans expect from the live session compared to the album?
We try to make the live show different to the recording. We're big believers in having that difference because it seems so boring otherwise.
5. Who are some artists you think are on the verge of making it big and what is it like being chosen as one of Rdio’s 2014 Artists to Watch?