Besides being massively influential to the genre, Boyz II Men are also the most successful R&B group of all time. Today the Philadelphia trio are releasing their tenth album, titled Twenty, and we’ve got an exclusive stream of their commentary on the double-album’s 13 new songs and nine classics.
While you listen, read our Five Questions with Boyz II Men members Wanya Morris and Shawn Stockman.
Five Questions with Boyz II Men
- Who do you think is an important musician that most people have never heard of before?
Wanya Morris: It's not that they haven’t heard of him, it’s just that people need to be more tuned into him in this age: Stevie Wonder, one of the most innovative artists of all time. Songs in the Key of Life! Shawn Stockman: I think an important artist that the mainstream public has never heard of is Commissioned, a gospel group that has inspired any R&B artist my age!
- If you had access to any record in the world, what would you listen to right now?
WM: Prince’s Purple Rain, Love Symbol and Diamonds and Pearls album... Oh, and Michael Jackson’s Thriller. SS: De La Soul’s 3 Feet High and Rising and the remix to “Plug Tunin'” which has fallen off the face of the friggin' earth! Can't find it anywhere!
- Which album or artist do you most associate with your childhood?
WM: Michael Jackson, he's been an influence as long as I can remember. SS: Michael Jackson’s Off the Wall. It was instrumental in exposing me to harmony and incredible singing.
- We hope people are ______________ when they listen to our music.
WM: Falling in love all over again. SS: Doing whatever it is they want to do with whoever they wanna do it with.
- We were thinking about ______________ when we wrote music for the new album.
WM: Love. SS: How much we've matured and how we wanted that to show.