Hawaii-born singer-songwriter Mason Jennings is a folk troubadour known for his succinct, ear-catching melodies. He certainly caught Jack Johnson's ear — the two met when Jennings opened for Johnson in 2001, and they subsequently toured together. (Years later, Jennings signed to Johnson’s label, Brushfire Records).
Jennings just released his ninth full-length studio album, Minnesota, but that’s not all he’s offering fans right now. He’s put together a playlist of his favorite songs by bands he’s toured with, and answered our Five Questions — check them out and listen to Minnesota now.
Five Questions with Mason Jennings
- Who do you think is an important musician that most people have never heard of before?
Mason Jennings: Chad VanGaalen.
- If you had access to any record in the world, what would you listen to right now?
MJ: Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy.
- Which album or artist do you most associate with your childhood?
MJ: Led Zeppelin.
- We hope people are ______________ when they listen to our music.
- We were thinking about ______________ when we wrote music for the new album.
MJ: Chopin and soccer.