When California punk band The Bronx don their masks and break out the trumpets, they become fascinating alter ego Mariachi El Bronx. It’s no novelty — the band have true mariachi chops. Their second, self-titled album, recorded with former Oingo Boingo member John Avila, is out now, and cements their authentic mariachi style. This month they’re touring with mega-band the Foo Fighters. Before you catch them live, listen to their albums on Rdio, check out their “Music We Are Randomly Blasting On Tour...” playlist, and read their answers to our Five Questions.
Five Questions with Mariachi El Bronx
- Who do you think is an important musician that most people have never heard of before?
Matt Caughthran: GG Allin, the master of chaos and sonic death.
- If you had access to any record in the world, what would you listen to right now?
MC: M.O.D. - U.S.A. For M.O.D. A hidden gem in the thrash world. This record can take any party to the breaking point.
- Which album or artist do you most associate with your childhood?
MC: 7 Seconds - The Crew. This record marked the first time I heard songs that were shorter than 30 seconds. It blew my fucking mind. This classic record was a pilot light that fueled every misadventure of my teenage years.
- We hope people are ______________ when they listen to our music.
- We were thinking about ______________ when we wrote music for the new album.
MC: Male strippers.