When San Francisco’s Ryan Lynch got laid off from his day job, he decided to spend his free time writing songs. Today, he and compatriot Hannah Hunt perform those songs under the name Dominant Legs. The two work together to turn Lynch’s unpolished pop songs into nuggets of 80s-indebted retro pop—which they’ve been recording since 2010—when they released a four-song EP titled Young at Love and Life.
This week, the band is releasing their debut full-length album, Invitation. The aptly-named LP is as danceable and catchy as their first release, and should hook any music fan upon first listen. Check it out now, and get to know the band by tuning into their “Favorite Songs Right Now” playlist and reading our interview with Lynch himself.
Five Questions with Dominant Legs
- Who do you think is an important musician that most people have never heard of before?
Ryan Lynch: My friends in the band Terry Malts have been heard, but definitely not enough.
- If you had access to any record in the world, what would you listen to right now?
RL: Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde.
- Which album or artist do you most associate with your childhood?
RL: The Jackson 5’s Greatest Hits and Stevie Wonder’s Talking Book
- We hope people are ______________ when they listen to our music.
- We were thinking about ______________ when we wrote music for the new album.
RL: how we would like to introduce ourselves in a way that was fun and exciting yet honest...