Thanks to the golden ears of a music vet (Kid Rock’s former Manager), Blue October exploded from their Texas homebase to the rest of the nation. Sixteen years later, the rock quintet (including the brothers Justin and Jeremy Furstenfeld) still delights fans with new music and their awesome live shows. Today’s new album, Any Man in America, covers difficult but heartfelt subjects like divorce and separation.
Curious what makes Blue October tick? Rdio heard from bassist Matt Noveskey—listen to his playlist, “Songs I'm listening to right now” and read Five Questions with Blue October.
Five Questions with Blue October
- Who do you think is an important musician that most people have never heard of before?
Blue October bass player, Matt Noveskey: Jeremy Enigk—founder of Sunny Day Real Estate and The Fire Theft. He's been imitated by legions of musicians and songwriters, many of whom may not even realize it.
- If you had access to any record in the world, what would you listen to right now?
MN: Will Hoge - Blackbird On A Lonely Wire
- Which album or artist do you most associate with your childhood?
MN: Fleetwood Mac or Michael Jackson
- We hope people are ______________ when they listen to our music.
- We were thinking about ______________ when we wrote music for the new album.
MN: Telling it like it is