Shooting into notability after a well-timed Apple commercial and her particularly haunting cover of Britney Spear’s Toxic, Yael Naim continued to write and play music in her sweet and delicate trademark style. This Israeli songstress took a moment to talk with us below and also created a playlist for a special occasion. The occasion? Her new album, She Was a Boy, is out today so queue it up and keep reading.
Five Questions with Yael Naim
- Who do you think is an important musician that most people have never heard of before?
Yael Naim: Elizabeth Fraser and Nick Drake aren’t known enough …
- If you had access to any record in the world, what would you listen to right now?
YN: Blue from Joni Mitchell
- Which album or artist do you most associate with your childhood?
YN: The Beatles
- We hope people are ______________ when they listen to our music.
- We were thinking about ______________ when we wrote music for the new album.
YN: Having more freedom (not pressuring ourselves with what people were expecting)