Arkells are living the dream. Just a few years ago they were a bunch of friends playing softball together, but once they began playing music, it was just a matter of time before they were playing show after show and opening for their heroes — Pearl Jam, Tokyo Police Club, Metric, and Them Crooked Vultures. Their new album, Michigan Left, is catching on across Canada with its addictive choruses and exuberant guitar lines.
The Hamilton, Ontario quintet are about to embark on a cross-nation tour, starting November 2nd. We got in touch with them to ask a few questions — read their answers while you listen to Arkells' hand-picked playlist below.
Five Questions with Arkells
- Who do you think is an important musician that most people have never heard of before?
Arkells: Joel Plaskett.
- If you had access to any record in the world, what would you listen to right now?
Arkells: Wilco’s The Whole Love.
- Which album or artist do you most associate with your childhood?
Arkells: The Beatles - Help!
- We hope people are ______________ when they listen to our music.
Arkells: At a pre-drink.
- We were thinking about ______________ when we wrote music for the new album.
Arkells: Kanye West's “All of the Lights” music video.
- Taylor Swift - Speak Now: The music we listen to on tour.
- Fleetwood Mac - “Everywhere”: Our favourite song right now.
- Spoon - Gimme Fiction: Our pre-show jams.
- The National - “Start a War”: A song that inspires us.
- Tokyo Police Club - Champ: Music by an artist we've toured with.
- Kanye West - “Homecoming”: A song that reminds us of home.
- Jay-Z - “Lost One”
- Katy Perry - “Teenage Dream”
- Rihanna - “Only Girl (In The World)”