Montreal, Quebec-based pop-punk outfit Simple Plan aren’t just kids anymore—they’re a double-platinum-selling quintet with more than 800,000 records sold in Canada, and a decade’s worth of experience under their belts. In June they put an end to a three-year wait for their new record by releasing Get Your Heart On!, their fourth official full-length. To celebrate the new release, we heard from guitarist Sebastien Lefebvre, and asked him a few questions. They’ve also contributed an Rdio playlist of songs they like to listen to on tour. Listen to it below and follow along with the Playlist Notes.
1. Tom Petty - There Goes my Girl (driving song)
2. Lykke Li - Love out of Lust (after show chill song)
3. Goldfinger - Going Home (End of tour song)
4. Unwritten Law - Nevermind (We were on tour together song)
5. Passion Pit - Little Secrets (After show dance party song)
6. Rise Against - Architects (Pre-show energy song)
7. Neon Trees - Animal (Put us in the mood to play song)
8. Bon Iver – Holocene (Flying or after show wind down song).
Five Questions with Simple Plan
- Who do you think is an important musician that most people have never heard of before?
Sebastien Lefebvre: I feel like most important or influential people in the world of music have been heard before. But, to name a few of the artists I always go back to, and might not be the most popular/obvious: Bjork, Bon Iver, Joey Cape. Actually, I pick Joey Cape. He's the singer for a band called Lagwagon that I used to listen to growing up. Everything he's done since or touches, I'm a fan of. Whether it's Bad Astronaut, The Playing Favorites, or Joey Cape's Bad Loud, I'm a fan of his voice and his writing.
- If you had access to any record in the world, what would you listen to right now?
SL: The new Bjork, Biophilia. It's not out yet, that's why I would like to hear it. Same sentiment towards the new Blink-182 album.
- Which album or artist do you most associate with your childhood?
SL: There's a few. But the Offspring is the band that really got me into punk rock and playing music. So it would have to be them. My teen years also had a weak spot for Bush-X. Big fan growing up.
- We hope people are ______________ when they listen to our music.
SL: We just want our music to make you feel something, hopefully forget about the bad stuff and have a good time.
- We were thinking about ______________ when we wrote music for the new album.
SL: This record is about having fun. We wanted to make a record that had a little bit of every record in it. An album that had everything that Simple Plan is good at. The fun and energy, a few deeper songs that the fans like to connect to, and also trying a few new things here and there. I think we achieved that.